Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Day 7 of gratitude

Today I am grateful for progress in the area of marriage equality.  After North Carolina overwhelmingly passed a constitutional amendment back in May that rejected marriage equality where I live, I was heartbroken. We have many friends who are gay or lesbian, and to my mind, their families are no different than mine.  They get up every day and do the same things Josh and I do: they work hard at their jobs and work even harder raising their children.  They go to sleep and repeat it all the next day, just like us.  It warms my heart that to Ella, it's as simple as this:  families are about love, not about whether they are headed by a mommy and a daddy, two mommies, or two daddies.  I strongly believe that all people who wish to marry deserve exactly the same rights and privileges that Josh and I enjoy.  So today I am grateful, so grateful, for the voters in Maryland and Maine, in Minnesota and Wisconsin, who cast their ballots for a future of equality and acceptance and compassion, for that is the future that I want for my children. 

No comments:

Post a Comment