Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Two mysteries solved

As Ella has gotten older and more independent, we no longer keep her in our eyesight every second of every day.  This means that she often plays by herself in different rooms and does a lot of tasks herself without our supervision. I view this in a very positive light; not only are we done changing her diapers, but she can go to the bathroom entirely on her own these days which is certainly A-OK with me. However, two mysteries have been plaguing me lately and I have finally connected them to Ella and her more independent world.

First, whenever Ella goes to use the bathroom, she is gone for a long time.  Like 5 or 10 minutes long.  This is a lifetime for a four-year old.  Since she almost always has to go potty while we are in the middle of a meal, it is pretty common for her to leave the table when everyone is half-finished and to return after we're done.  I cannot possibly imagine what takes so long, especially since she hasn't yet discovered reading on the toilet. 

Second, the cup I keep next to my bathroom sink tastes terrible!!  No matter how often or how well I wash it and rinse it, it always tastes like soap.

Well, wouldn't you know that I recently went into my bathroom to see what was taking Ella so long, and I found her on her stool vigorously pumping hand soap into my water cup. She told me gleefully that she likes to wash things for me ("with soap!!").  This apparently extends to my toothbrush, various combs and brushes, and even the sink itself.  But apparently my cup is very very dirty and needs a LOT of soap.  

Both mysteries solved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment