Ella is becoming quite interested in numbers. She has a 100s chart (that her fabulous Mimi bought for her when her numbers interest took off) and she likes to count by 10s or down the line of 5, 15, 25, and so on. The other day on a walk, she told me that she "is having trouble with her twenties." So we spent a few blocks counting up from 1 to 30. She didn't seem to be having any trouble with it to me, but she sure liked to declare (with great gravitas) that the twenties were awfully troublesome.
Her latest obsession is asking us to add together numbers for her. She has mastered two plus two and other such pedestrian adding tasks (I joke. We are still amazed when she busts out with three plus three equals six), but now she wants us to tell her things like the sum of 10 and 15 and 29.
Today she asked me what 19 and 16 add up to and I said 35. Then I told her that 35 is the age that Daddy will be on his next birthday and then Mommy on her next birthday (yikes!). Her reply, "That means you are 34 now, Mommy!" Genius! She can count down! She was quiet for a second, and then said "And before that, were you 33?" Super genius! I got all excited thinking about how smart she is with her ability to count forward AND backward. Can she get to 30, I thought? Will she trip up on the 30 to 29 step?
What did she say next? Props to the person whose first thought is "something to do with Omar". Yes indeed, her next statement was "Mommy, Omar is 35! No, he's.... 36! That's OLD, Mommy." And that was that. No more counting down. So yes, my sweet girl, Omar is old. Just like mommy.
No comments:
Post a Comment