This morning I was taking a shower and Ella was going to the bathroom. She sometimes seems to think that the toilet is just a place to sit and chat, and since I was gone over the weekend, she took an extra long time this morning sitting on the potty and talking with me. Out of the blue, we had this conversation:
Ella: But where do babies come out of, Mommy?
Me: Well.... <mumble, think think think, mumble mumble> .... <finally> They come out between the Mommy's legs.
Ella: Well, that means they come out of a mommy's heiny or butt.
Me: Um, yes, well, yes <mumble mumble mumble>, yes, they come out of the mommy's heiny [Side note: Please forgive me, Josh. You are correct that this is the wrong terminology to use, at least according to the Urban Dictionary]
Ella, looking down: I don't think I'm big enough for a baby to come out of there.
Me: That's true. You are just a little girl now but maybe someday when you are grown up you will have a baby of your own.
Ella: Well, MAYBE I'll have a baby. But who will be the daddy?
Me: I hope that you'll meet a man that you love and he can be the daddy.
Ella: But, Mommy! I love you! So maybe my baby can have two mommies. It's good to have two mommies or two daddies.
Me: That's right, because what makes a family, Ella?
Ella: Love.
And there you have it. A totally uncomfortable birds and bees talk followed by the sweetness of my three-year-old's complete understanding that love is what matters in a family. I find it so upsetting that certain closed-minded politicians in the state where we live cannot comprehend a simple truth that my preschooler does. This afternoon we are going to go pick up our yard sign indicating that we are 'Another Family Against the Amendment' in North Carolina. That should yield some awesome Ella conversations on the way home.
No comments:
Post a Comment