One of the things I have missed the most since having kids is uninterrupted time to listen to NPR in the car. I used to commute a half hour between our house in Durham and the UNC campus when I was working on my doctorate and I loved that time to listen to all the great shows on our local NPR station. Weekend errands were even better when I got to listen to Car Talk, Splendid Table, and Wait Wait Don't Tell me. Now of course I spend most of my car time listening to Raffi or Kindermusik or other Ella-approved music. Sometimes I try to sneak in some NPR by convincing Ella to share the radio with me. We'll listen to her music on the way to the store and my news on the way back. This sometimes works but I don't find it very much fun to listen to All Things Considered with a constant stream of "I don't like news. Is your turn over yet, Mommy? I don't like news." My new tactic is to give her my cell phone where she can listen to Toddler Radio on Pandora in the backseat while I listen to NPR in the front seat. I thought this was working rather well until a conversation we had this morning. I was listening to Weekend Edition and they were reporting on the death of Whitney Houston at age 48. I have often wondered how much of the news Ella picks up and whether I need to start censoring certain more disturbing stories for her. I now know the answer.
Ella: Mommy, Omar's Daddy died.
Me: I'm so sorry to hear that.
Ella: Yeah, he was 48 when he died.
Aaaannnnd, we're back to Raffi.
No comments:
Post a Comment